This year, on Wednesday 5th November it’s the world’s second international Wobbly Wednesday – a very special day for all of us who have involvement with nystagmus. The day is dedicated to raising awareness of the condition and so far celebrations are set to go with a bang!
With less than four weeks to go, there are already some great initiatives underway :-
– Niagara Falls in the USA and Blackpool tower in the UK will be lit up blue
– Fannie Fera in the USA has created an event to encourage people to light up their houses blue too! You can find out more on her Facebook event
– Terry Hayden and Steve McKay (NN Treasurer and Press Officers) are willing to provide a service (suggestions welcome) for whoever donates the most – very interesting
– Wobbly Wednesday Spooktacular in Bromley with a disco and hog roast
– Day trip to Twycross Zoo in the Midlands
– Wobbly Wednesday Quiz
– And many others e.g. hospitals and schools raising awareness, radio shows, newspaper articles, singing, selling cakes, giving talks, raffles, parties with vodka jelly etc.
In the North East of England, Useful Vision charity are supporting Wobbly Wednesday at their Hall Hill Farm event on Sunday 26th October.
“Useful Vision are the charity that help blind and visually impaired children across the North East get the most out of life. They organise a range of activities that stimulate and meet the needs of sight impaired children that are also fun for the whole family. They would like to use their family fun day at Hall Hill Farm to support the Wobbly Wednesday Nystagmus Awareness Day and encourage North East families who have children with nystagmus or other significant sight impairment to join in the fun. The event is on Sunday 26th October 11am-3pm and you will need to register with Useful Vision. Contact them direct on 0845 6048491 or firstname.lastname@example.org”
Can you think of any other ideas? What are your plans?
For further information about Wobbly Wednesday, see the Nystagmus Network web page , and “Like” the Wobbly Wednesday Facebook page for regular updates. You can request a Wobbly Wednesday fundraising pack by e-mailing email@example.com