Over the past weeks although Jack’s eyes have continued to flicker, I don’t notice them anywhere near as much. I’ve been enjoying every minute with him, playing, and watching him develop – from learning to roll to sitting, crawling and starting to climb furniture (help!).
However, I do wonder “Are we doing everything we can to stimulate his eyes and general development?”
Here are some of the things we’ve been doing so far (based on research and speaking to other parents);
- playing with bright colourful toys
- reading books including touchy feely ones (large font, uncluttered, high contrast where possible)
- playing games to encourage Jack to track/follow objects e.g. his musical train, push and go toys, remote control toys, peek-a-boo
- going to baby massage and sensory play sessions with fibre optic lights
- going swimming
- playing finger puppet games
- singing and dancing to nursery rhymes
- watching DVDs including the Disney Baby Einstein ones and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (great colour, movement and facial expressions)
- making music with rattles, a rain stick (makes a funny noise when you turn it upside down), biscuit tins and anything else we can make a noise with!
- visiting other baby and toddler friends
I’m sure there are many more – if you have any ideas we’d love to hear them.